Car seats are the bane of my life at the moment. We currently own 4, 2 for dude and 2 for bear, one in each car. My parents look after the boys whilst im at work and so it was inevitable with the school runs, we would need 2 more seats for their car.
For bear we eventually decided on a group 1/2/3 seat so that the seat could grow with him and we wouldn’t have to pay out for yet another seat. Although we are huge advocates of extended rear facing, it was just not feasible in my parent’s small car nor did we have the funds to purchase another ERF.
We bought the Joie Elevate through www.very.co.uk for a reasonable £49.99. When it arrived it was easy to assemble, the booster base simply slotted onto the high back.
- The seat is well cushioned providing a comfortable seat for the child. It was also easily removable in order to put it through the wash.
- Now the weather is warming up, the mesh sides have been great. I always find that car seats make children warm up very quickly and this airflow through the seat definitely keeps them cooler.
- The 5 point harness so far has been great, I get so fed up with straps that constantly twist but these have been easy to buckle with.
- Once installed the car seat is very secure with the 3 point car seat belt. Theres no movement with the seat and I felt confident that it will protect my son.
- It has a handy cup or snack holder which is definitely a plus for us as bear is constantly dropping any type of bowl I give to him in the car.
The Cons (There aren’t many!):
- The seat is installed with a seat belt, I much prefer the security of isofix and an option for this would have been great.
- The release button to lengthen the straps is tricky to get to but tighening is easy.
- Although marketed from 9 months, i believe it is not suitable for a child this young. It is much more suited from 2 years onwards. Babies under this age still nap in the car quite often and there is no recline with the seat meaning that when the child falls asleep their head flops forward. Not only is this a suffocation risk (chin on chest, blocking airway) but it is so uncomfortable for the child.
Overall Bear has been very comfortable in this seat other than when he falls asleep. Its a highly affordable car seat and as it grows with your child its also cost effective. It is listed as fitting most popular cars and it is light and easy to transfer between vehicles.
I would definitely recommend the seat for any toddler over 2 years.
More information is available here and it is available to buy in most retailers.
Disclaimer – All views in this post are mine and in no way affiliated with the company or brand.